Tiny House Company

Support Center

Cottages - HousePlans

Last Updated: Jan 06, 2016 07:41AM PST
Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Tumbleweed Tiny Cottages.

Tumbleweed cottage plans are now available at: http://www.houseplans.com/exclusive/tumbleweed-tiny-house-company. We feel, with architects on staff representing 49 states, HousePlans is better able to assist you with region-specific questions like cost to build as well as provide consultations.

Tumbleweed designed these small homes on a foundation for those that want a regular home that is smaller and more efficient than standard homes. We are not involved in construction of the cottages so you need to contact a building contractor in your area to get a current price quote (cost per square foot) for a home.

Our Cottage Building Plans are generic and may require modification to meet local building code requirements. We recommend that you work closely with your local building department to understand the zoning and regulations where you plan to build, and to work with them and/or a building contractor to make any modifications need for your home.  We don't follow all of the individual city and county building department zoning and regulations because there are over 5,000 building departments in USA.

For cottages on a foundation, in most places they meet building code requirements for permitted main residences or accessory dwelling units (aka ADUs or backyard cottages). You would start by checking with your local building department to see if they have any minimum size standards in place for new residential construction or if ADUs are allowed. Then ask them how the permitting process works for getting water, power, and sewer hookups to bare land and building a new home on it. In some places it can actually be cheaper to buy a lot with a terrible house on it than get utilities to a piece of raw land, so weigh your pros and cons there.

To find a building contractor, we recommend the following:
- Ask friends a business colleagues for a recommendation

- Contact your local Better Business Bureau
- Contact the local Building Association (search online)
- Ask a bank that provide construction loans for a recommendation

 Also try: http://www.homeadvisor.com/

If you decide to build the Cottage yourself, we recommend that you hire professionals for some of the critical work:
- Foundation cement work (a single monolithic pour)
- Licensed Electrical - rough (in walls, under floor, in ceiling) and finish (install fixtures, switches, final connection)
- Licensed Plumbing - rough (supply, drain and vents) and finish (installing fittings and fixtures)
- Roofing (you can do this, but professionals are incredibly fast and give a warranty on workmanship)

 Please let us know how we can be of further assistance.

Contact Us

  • Post a Public Question
  • Email Us
  • support(at)tumbleweedhouses(dot)com

    Call Us

    (877) 331-8469

seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found